- The Himalayan Yew (Taxus wallachiana) is a medicinal plant found in various parts of Himachal Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh. A chemical compound called ‘taxol’ is extracted from the bark, needles, twigs and roots of this tree, and it has been successfully used to treat some cancers – the drug is now the biggest selling anti-cancer drug in the world
- Asiatic cheetah, pink head duck are now extinct from India.
- Under Wildlife Act of 1980 and 1986, several hundred butterflies, moths, beetles, and one dragonfly have been added to the list of protected species. In 1991, for the first time plants were also added to the list, starting with six species.
- India receives nearly 4 per cent of the global precipitation and ranks 133 in the world in terms of water availability per person per annum. The total renewable water resources of India are estimated at 1,897 sq km per annum.
- In the 11th Century, Bhopal Lake, one of the largest artificial lakes of its time was built.
- In the 14th Century, the tank in Hauz Khas, Delhi was constructed by Iltutmish for supplying water to Siri Fort area.
- Krishna-Godavari dispute is due to the objections raised by Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh governments? It is regarding the diversion of more water at Koyna by the Maharashtra government for a multipurpose project.
- India has the largest reserve of iron ore in Asia. Main types of ore found in our country are haematite and magnetite.
- Manganese is an important raw material for smelting of iron ore and also used for manufacturing ferro alloys.
- Orissa is the leading producer of Manganese. Major mines in Orissa are located in the central part of the iron ore belt of India, particularly in Bonai, Kendujhar, Sundergarh, Gangpur, Koraput, Kalahandi and Bolangir.
- The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet !
- If you were to roll-out a human lung and flatten it, it would be the size of a tennis court.
- The quartz crystal in your wristwatch vibrates 32,768 times a second.
- During World War II, twice as many fighter pilots were killed during training than combat.
- No one can drown in the Dead Sea. It is 25 percent salt, which makes the water very heavy.
- To produce half a kilo of honey, bees have to collect nectar from over 2 million individual flowers.
- ‘Nokia’, the communications giant, was founded in 1865 as a wood-pulp mill by Fredrik Idestam.
Picture Perception Test
Prepare yourself to bring in positive changes in your attitude and behavior. Try this three pronged approach.
Some of the Courses offered by KAKINI
Preparatory courses to face Services Selection Board
NDA entrance test preparation courses